Anime Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime Madness wishes you a pleasant stay here.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inFlash Games
A new banner has been added!
Drop by the chatbox sometime and hang out with us!
New playlist added! Sit back and enjoy the music!

Environmental Dilemmas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ruriel
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Ruriel

Credits : 4849

Environmental Dilemmas  Empty
PostSubject: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 pm

So I was in my AP Environmental class and we were debating two situations:

1. A species of feral goats is introduced to a small island. There, the goats feed on an endangered species of plant. The most efficient and feasible way to solve the issues is to kill the goats. Do you agree? And if not, what might be a better solution?

2. The many people of a small, poor African nation are starving. In order to get out of this famine, the people plan to take the only fertile plot of land in the country and turn it into farms. Not only will these people be able to get jobs and earn money, they will have food. However, that same fertile plot of land is a national park for the endangered species of African elephants. What do you do?
Back to top Go down
http://radiantstarr.deviantart.com/
NowiS
Commander
Commander
NowiS

Credits : 4162

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 10:08 pm

1. I'm mixed about this.  Yes, I agree it is probably the most efficient way to take care of this. If it hasn't been long since the goats have been introduced o the island, they probably haven't started mating and multiplying. Quick action and rapid eradication of the goats is probably the most efficient way. Yeah, it sounds inhumane. lolz

Here are some other solutions.

If the endangered plants are not scattered all over the island, but grow on a particular area of the island, protect that area to keep the goats away. And the goats can find something else to feed on.

If they can be transported somehow instead of killed, that can be another solution.

2. Not sure how the endangered species laws are in Africa, but it's seem like a conflict between human survival and protection of endangered species.

Hey, I would be pissed if elephants have it better than the people. lol. Taking away the land and habitat of the elephants would probably drive the elephants to extinction, but it would help the welfare of the people, assuming that it does create jobs, and money.
Back to top Go down
Ruriel
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Ruriel

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 pm

NowiS wrote:
1. I'm mixed about this.  Yes, I agree it is probably the most efficient way to take care of this. If it hasn't been long since the goats have been introduced o the island, they probably haven't started mating and multiplying. Quick action and rapid eradication of the goats is probably the most efficient way. Yeah, it sounds inhumane. lolz

If the endangered plants are not scattered all over the island, but grow on a particular area of the island, a fence can be built around that area to keep the goats away. And the goats can find something else to feed on.

If they can be transported somehow instead of killed, that can be another solution.

2. Not sure how the endangered species laws are in Africa, but it's seem like a conflict between human survival and protection of endangered species.

Hey, I would be pissed if elephants have it better than the people. lol. Taking away the land and habitat of the elephants would probably endanger the species even more, but it would help the welfare of the people, assuming that everything goes how the OP stated.  
Well said ^^ Now how about we put this into the equation?

Did you know that elephants are considered a vital species in the African landscape? Elephants play a key role in maintaining the balance of all other species in the community. Other animals, including humans, depend on the openings elephants create in the forest and brush and in the waterholes they dig. Elephant dung (droppings) is important to the environment as well. Baboons and birds pick through dung for undigested seeds and nuts, and dung beetles reproduce in these deposits. The nutrient-rich manure replenishes depleted soils so that humans can have a nutrient rich soil to plant crops in.
Back to top Go down
NowiS
Commander
Commander
NowiS

Credits : 4162

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Ruriel wrote:
NowiS wrote:

If the endangered plants are not scattered all over the island, but grow on a particular area of the island, a fence can be built around that area to keep the goats away. And the goats can find something else to feed on.

Hey, I would be pissed if elephants have it better than the people. lol. Taking away the land and habitat of the elephants would probably endanger the species even more, but it would help the welfare of the people, assuming that everything goes how the OP stated.  

Did you know that elephants are considered a vital species in the African landscape? Elephants play a key role in maintaining the balance of all other species in the community. Other animals, including humans, depend on the openings elephants create in the forest and brush and in the waterholes they dig. Elephant dung (droppings) is important to the environment as well. Baboons and birds pick through dung for undigested seeds and nuts, and dung beetles reproduce in these deposits. The nutrient-rich manure replenishes depleted soils so that humans can have a nutrient rich soil to plant crops in.
I see. So basically the elephants are the reason that particular area of land is fertile. LOL . Sigh, only if humans have noticed this earlier and not have endangered the species in the first place, then more land would be fertile and won't be stuck in this dilemma.

It's the circle of life. I'm trying to remember that quote in Lion King where Mufasa is lecturing Simba about the circle of life. That would be perfect right now.
Back to top Go down
Ruriel
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Ruriel

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 10:33 pm

NowiS wrote:
Ruriel wrote:
NowiS wrote:

I see. So basically the elephants are the reason that particular area of land is fertile. LOL . Sigh, only if humans have noticed this earlier and not have endangered the species in the first place, then more land would be fertile and won't be stuck in this dilemma.

It's the circle of life. I'm trying to remember that quote in Lion King where Mufasa is lecturing Simba about the circle of life. That would be perfect right now.
Oh Lion King... But yeah, life is complicated and humans are stupid :/
Back to top Go down
seyyah
Role-Playing Moderator
Role-Playing Moderator
seyyah

Credits : 4174

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 am

Ruriel wrote:

1. A species of feral goats is introduced to a small island. There, the goats feed on an endangered species of plant. The most efficient and feasible way to solve the issues is to kill the goats. Do you agree? And if not, what might be a better solution?

2. The many people of a small, poor African nation are starving. In order to get out of this famine, the people plan to take the only fertile plot of land in the country and turn it into farms. Not only will these people be able to get jobs and earn money, they will have food. However, that same fertile plot of land is a national park for the endangered species of African elephants. What do you do?

1- Have goats in the island confined, then secure the plants from humans too....
2- Its always possible to move Elephants, those animals dont really rooted to places, and their habitat is not limited to one place, but both those movement and irrigation must be stritcly controlled... its not really possible for a national park to hold all fertile soil in it, borders can be changed and limiting irrigation to one area because the soil is more felrtile is not a great idea...
But if its the only fertile spot then movement of Elephants is the only choice...

Biggest problem is humans doing supervising of these actions, and when money is there, sadly, for 1st either goats or plants are gone for sure, and it'll end up plants, for 2nd it'll be a loss for elephants in a bitter way...
Back to top Go down
Ruriel
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Ruriel

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 pm

seyyah wrote:
Ruriel wrote:

1- Have goats in the island confined, then secure the plants from humans too....
2- Its always possible to move Elephants, those animals dont really rooted to places, and their habitat is not limited to one place, but both those movement and irrigation must be stritcly controlled... its not really possible for a national park to hold all fertile soil in it, borders can be changed and limiting irrigation to one area because the soil is more felrtile is not a great idea...
But if its the only fertile spot then movement of Elephants is the only choice...

Biggest problem is humans doing supervising of these actions, and when money is there, sadly, for 1st either goats or plants are gone for sure, and it'll end up plants, for 2nd it'll be a loss for elephants in a bitter way...
Interested answers... By moving the elephants, you mean herding them right? The only problems with that are 1) who's going to herd them? Remember, the African people of that nation are starving... They certainly wouldn't be able to do it. 2) If you move the elephants out of a protected area, they are in danger of being poached for their ivory.

But you guys come up with pretty good answers ^^
Back to top Go down
seyyah
Role-Playing Moderator
Role-Playing Moderator
seyyah

Credits : 4174

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 6:22 am

Ruriel wrote:
seyyah wrote:
Ruriel wrote:

Interested answers... By moving the elephants, you mean herding them right? The only problems with that are 1) who's going to herd them? Remember, the African people of that nation are starving... They certainly wouldn't be able to do it. 2) If you move the elephants out of a protected area, they are in danger of being poached for their ivory.

But you guys come up with pretty good answers ^^
I meant, instead of removing the protected zone, changing its borders and by moving not herding but placing them to different place, with that fertile lands will be opened, but for Elephants since they'll get more scarce food, a bigger area will be needed. for protection of this area more people would be needed... Also with fertile lands opened food problem will also be lessened...

Back to top Go down
Mikumon
Captain
Captain
Mikumon

Credits : 3961

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 3:02 pm

I don't fully agree.. I say either move the Goats to another place (if possible) or take them to a place on the island where there aren't these special species of plants and plant new species that are not endangered ;P

Obviously change the park's location xD There is no way there is no place to make a new and maybe a little smaller park for the Elephants and make farms in the position of the old park.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Environmental Dilemmas    Environmental Dilemmas  Empty

Back to top Go down

Environmental Dilemmas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Anime Madness :: Main Section :: General Discussion-
Jump to: