Anime Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime Madness wishes you a pleasant stay here.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inFlash Games
A new banner has been added!
Drop by the chatbox sometime and hang out with us!
New playlist added! Sit back and enjoy the music!

Martial Arts Thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kiwa_Hajimari
Administrator
Administrator
Kiwa_Hajimari

Credits : 4717

Martial Arts Thread Empty
PostSubject: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 6:02 am

I'd like this thread to be as general as possible, so I won't gve limits to what and how to post, but examples:

Post here if you practice any martial arts, tell us why you do it, what's fun about it, if it's of practical use in self-defense, and if you'd recommend for people who want to start with MA or like to do some test lessons.

Ask for help if you're interested in any aspects of Martial Arts, no matter if you want to start one and don't know which or you're writing a book that contains MA fighters and want some advice to make it more realistic or if you're just curious.

If you like to, we can have a discussion about which MA is the best here, but since it will be endless, we prolly should make another thread for this if interest uncovers here.

Nuff said, so I'm gonna start:
I'm practicing Judo once or twice a week since eight years now, and I like it because it has strict rules that guarantee safety in sparrings and starts with techniques that mainly help you not getting hurt if you fall, what's highly practical. These two principles allow you to have all-out-fights at full strength like in no other MA, because you jst won't get hurt in any case (accidents happen ofc, but Judo injuries are far more rare than in soccer for example). Parallely you learn to control your body and get trained in agility, strength and mobility (stretching) all at once.

Additionally I attend my once-or-twice-a-week Jiu-Jutsu training, a highly reliable self-defense sport that teaches you how to react to sudden assaults or streetfights, and you learn a great bandwidth of techniques to take out attackers, depending on the attack itself (like, from "he" grabbed me and I don't like him to, so I remove his hand without hurting him over he punched me, so I dodge and throw him to the ground without hurting him badly so he knows I'm stronger and he won't attack again, over he wants to really hurt me or chokes me or w/e, so I break his arm to stop him, call the police and be done with it, up to (worst case scenario) three guys attack me with knives, I disarm them and try to take them out without respect to if I leave them alive or not, until I got a chance to run)

As third and last, I'm practicing a Kung Fu type (Nine beasts would be the english translation I guess), it's mainly self-organized daily short training units (0,5-1h) where I do stretching, muscular and stamina training and, naurally, the Kung Fu forms (slow movements you get shown and have to copy on your own), for now only bare hands and Bo (longstick). My Judo trainer, who learned it from a shaolin monk, regularly shows me new forms and looks over the old so she can correct mistakes. It's an excellent training for body and mind, control and build, and I love these old school stuff that actually includes going out in the woods and punching trees to make your knuckes and flats of the hands more insensitive xD

Over all I consider it an excellent combination of a fighting sport (Judo), a self-defense practice (Jiu-Jutsu) and an actual Art (Kung Fu) and really fun stuff xD

and I forgot about ne thing before, I'd like to discuss the philosophical/ethical consequences of MA as well.

For example, after reading the text above, one could ask "What, you learn how to kill people?"

while it's quite the contrary, we learn not to kill people and inflicting exactly the damage necessary to leave a fight with as less injuries on both sides as possible. Another side effect of the training is, after you've been shown told what you and others can break in a fight, you tend to avoid fights in general and rather run than fight, while maintaining more control over your feelings than the average person (mainly, you're not a coward for running, you're samrt xD)
Back to top Go down
RevoluXionist
The Insane King
The Insane King
RevoluXionist

Credits : 4505

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 am

I'm practicing Arnis for 5 years now. It's fun because it's a fighting sport that uses weapons. We usually use sticks or bastons if you want to use machetes, swords, etc. or stick daggers if you want to use knifes, daggers and etc. You can also use weapons such as whips, staffs, and etc. You can only use dangerous weapons in training if you're good at sparring, self-discipline and if you attain the highest belt in Arnis. Belting exams are strict so it's very hard to attain a higher belt. We don't use bastons in sparring though. We use Padded Sticks to prevent full damage to the opponent and we wear armors too.

There are two types of handling the baston. Solo and Double. It's like 1H and Dual Wielding. There's also a combination of Espada y Daga or Sword and Dagger. There are disarms too but it's for traditional purposes, hand-to-hand combat, some takedowns in the disarms, chain or combo attacks, sparring, and etc.

Back to top Go down
http://exartia.deviantart.com/
Kiwa_Hajimari
Administrator
Administrator
Kiwa_Hajimari

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 4:02 am

in Kung Fu higher levels (there are no belts, just 10 "plains"), you train with traditional chinese weapons (longstick as said, sword, shovel lance, spear, chain, nunchaks and some other funny stuff), but we don't spar with these since there's no such thing in Kung Fu

in Jiu-Jutsu again, it's quite reverse to your Arnis, wwe focus on disarms and hand combat, but learn to use short bamboo sticks (singlehanded and double), knives, chain as well and if our trainers are in the mood, self-defense with and against everyday stuff like chairs, umbrellas etc.

Still, I'm not that good with weapons and depending on how and where you fight, they are often more of a hindrance than of use unless you're really used to them (like In-san prolly xD)
Back to top Go down
RevoluXionist
The Insane King
The Insane King
RevoluXionist

Credits : 4505

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 9:32 am

Haha I see. For me, weapons are not a hindrance to me. If I can't use them then I have to use hand-to-hand techniques which is a bit of my weakness but it's easy to convert my weapon techniques to hand-to-hand combat techniques. I just have to imagine that my arm is like a stick then clench my fist and I'm ready to go.
Back to top Go down
http://exartia.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 5:25 am

I tried Kendo for a month. (But stopped because i need to go back to Thornton-Cleveleys again Sad)
Back to top Go down
Rex Lex
Hobbies Section Moderator
Rex Lex

Credits : 4215

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 4:45 pm

one question is there a move whit wich you can paralyze a pat of the body(hands for example) you know something like the hiyuga taijutsu or what that girl from avatar the last air bender does?
Back to top Go down
Kiwa_Hajimari
Administrator
Administrator
Kiwa_Hajimari

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 pm

yes, there is, in Kung Fu for example, but you gotta be really good for this kind of stuff (and really good in Kung Fu means 15-20 years of training)

the only ones I could name is to paralyze the biceps by hitting it a the side a bit upwards the arm, but that's kinda straightforward and can be achieved by brute force.

second thing is not exactly paralyzing, but prolly comes closest to the avatar stuff, namely hitting a vessel/nerve string located between your shoulder and neck (brutal version, was used by club door guards for some time until it was discovered that it was lethal if done to hard) or by applying pressure to the exact location of this point that tells the brain how much blood flows up the neck and tells the heart to rise/decrease/stop the bloodflow to the brain (last one is the interesting thing xD)

The applying pressure thing is extremely difficult, but well known from film and TV
Martial Arts Thread Vulkanischer_Nackengriff_Spock
and a common joke in Kung Fu schools played on newbies to let them ask if the master could demonstrate it which leads to 15-30 min of unconsciousness of the guy who asked lol

there are some techniques that can paralyze specific parts of the body, but don't expect it to be exactly like in avatar

and, as I said, I'm far away from getting to see or learn them and may not be able to tell you if I someday know them.
Back to top Go down
Rex Lex
Rex Lex

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 5:16 pm

lol that's pretty interesting I'm interested in such moves cos they are more effective
Back to top Go down
Kiwa_Hajimari
Administrator
Administrator
Kiwa_Hajimari

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 5:29 pm

yes, me too, it's cool for fighting, especially for guys like me that are quicker than most, but nowhere close to the 90-to-120kg-guys in terms of strength

and it's just awesome and cool for parties lol

Last edited by Kiwa_Hajimari on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rex Lex
Rex Lex

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 pm

have you watched arrow perhaps ?
Back to top Go down
Kiwa_Hajimari
Administrator
Administrator
Kiwa_Hajimari

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 am

no, sry, I have not, why?

Last edited by Kiwa_Hajimari on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : posts have to be 6 words at least)
Back to top Go down
Rex Lex
Rex Lex

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 am

Kiwa_Hajimari wrote:
no, sry, I haven't, why?
cos a guy did something around the mc's neck and he was seemingly dead after that then he did something again and he woke up 
I think its too far fetched
Back to top Go down
Kiwa_Hajimari
Administrator
Administrator
Kiwa_Hajimari

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am

you can get someone unconscious by supressing the blood flow on the side of the neck, the victim passes out after 8sec ca., for a short time then if you let go, he will instantrly wake up, and after ca. 20 sec  of not letting go, he will sleep for some time

but nothing that would let him seem dead, that's actually quite far-fetched

Last edited by Kiwa_Hajimari on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rex Lex
Rex Lex

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 1:10 pm

I see well that was expected
Back to top Go down
KimHaedi
Blog Moderator
Blog Moderator
KimHaedi

Credits : 5081

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 2:07 pm

i know how to do the basic skills for using a nunchunk.  

and my uncle whos a grand master of several martial arts has taught me some basic formations of korean and japanese kendo.   and tae kwon do and hapkido.  

and some judo and kick boxing.  he even created his own martial arts, but i forgot the name of it XD
Back to top Go down
seyyah
Role-Playing Moderator
Role-Playing Moderator
seyyah

Credits : 4163

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 am

Practising Ronin Ryu Ninjutsu, for 4 months now... Though our instructors also know and teach us on Tai-Chi and Nin-Chi Godai, as latter one is developed by our grand master.
other than that know basics with some kinds of swords, mediocre knife throwing...
well.. using guns doesnt counts as MA right... :(

Martial Arts Thread 125357
Back to top Go down
Kiwa_Hajimari
Administrator
Administrator
Kiwa_Hajimari

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 11:00 am

sey is a practicing Master of gun-fu Razz
Back to top Go down
seyyah
Role-Playing Moderator
Role-Playing Moderator
seyyah

Credits : 4163

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 1:20 pm

wish there was someone who was interested in cqc gun fights around me... i think together with another martial artist we can develop a new style XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts Thread   Martial Arts Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Martial Arts Thread
Page 1 of 1